Welcome to the Clifton Suspension Bridge

The toll for motor vehicles and motor cycles to cross the bridge is now £1.  A discount is available by purchasing a Crossing Card.  For details, click here.  There is no charge for pedestrians and cyclists.

Visitor Information Centre is situated at the Leigh Woods end of the bridge. It contains information and images of the plans submitted for the bridge design competitions of the 1800s, and a timeline and DVD showing the construction and completion of the suspension bridge, and how it is maintained today. Books, postcards and souvenirs are on sale. The Visitor Information Centre is open 10am-5pm daily throughout the year except for Christmas eve, Christmas day and Boxing Day. 

We also run guided tours of the bridge. There are free weekend and bank holiday tours for the public between Easter and October, but paid tours for organised groups and schools can be booked all year round. You can also book a talk for your club or community group. This year our free tours begin on 5th April and finish on 2nd November.

 

 HLF logo

We are pleased to announce that we have been granted £595,000 by the Heritage Lottery Fund for a new Heritage and Learning Centre. See Our Lottery Project for more information.

 

 

A short history

The Clifton Suspension Bridge, spanning the picturesque Avon Gorge, is the symbol of the city of Bristol. For almost 150 years this Grade I listed structure has attracted visitors from all over the world. Its story began in 1754 with the dream of a Bristol wine merchant who left a legacy to build a bridge over the Gorge.

24 year old Isambard Kingdom Brunel was eventually declared the winner and appointed project engineer – his first major commission.

Panoramic look-around the Bridge >>

Photo courtesy of South West News Service.

Work began in 1831 but the project was dogged with political and financial difficulties and by 1843, with only the towers completed, the project was abandoned.

Brunel died aged only 53 yrs in 1859 but the Bridge was completed as his memorial and finally opened in 1864. Designed in the early 19th century for light horse drawn traffic it still meets the demands of 21st century commuter traffic with 11-12,000 motor vehicles crossing it every day.

For details of Guided Tours click here >>

 

  facebook    twitter   Foursquare   Trip Advisor