Our one hour excursion into the Leigh Woods Vaults begins at our Visitor Centre where you’ll don a hard hat and high-vis jacket. After a short safety briefing, you’ll head out onto the bridge where you’ll hear about the discovery of Brunel’s forgotten chambers in 2002.
Then it’s time to climb down the ladder and take a look inside! You’ll visit two of the twelve chambers built by the famous engineer and his team almost 180 years ago. Our volunteer guides will point out some of the features of their construction and give you plenty of time to take photos before you return to the surface.
If you’d like to know more about the history of the bridge or the abutments, you’ll find plenty of information in the free exhibition inside our Visitor Centre.
Children are welcome, but as this excursion involves climbing a ladder, we ask that all children are accompanied by an adult.
Information for your Party
Please ensure that all members of your group are aware of the following restrictions. For safety reasons, we may not be able to allow members of your party to access the vaults if they have not complied with the following:
- Tours are suitable for age 7+ and under 18s must be accompanied by an adult. For school and youth groups we’d recommend a ratio of 1:5, but if you’re planning a friends and family trip parents/guardians should be responsible for the safety of their own children. Ideally a ratio of 1 adult to 2 children is preferred.
- There is a minimum height limit of 1.2m.
- Please wear sturdy shoes with good grip such as hiking boots or trainers. You will not be allowed to join the tour in heels or open-toed shoes.
- This tour includes climbing a vertical ladder and passing through a low corridor. Please ensure that you are physically capable of doing so. Find more information at www.cliftonbridge.org.uk/vaultsbooking
- Please ensure that any camera, phone, or device you bring will fit in your pocket or bag so that you have two hands free to climb the ladder.
- Only small rucksack type bags worn over both shoulders or bags with cross-body straps will be permitted inside the vaults. Large bags, handbags, umbrellas and so on can be stored securely at the Visitor Centre during your tour.
- Be aware that the vaults can be wet and/or muddy inside, particularly after heavy rain. Please wear suitable clothing and ensure that cameras or mobile phones are protected from the calcite saturated water which may fall from the ceiling.
- Please call us on 0117 974 4664 before booking if you are concerned about claustrophobia or vertigo.