When the entrance to twelve forgotten chambers hidden inside the Leigh Woods abutment of the Clifton Suspension Bridge in was rediscovered in 2002, this surprise find presented a unique challenge to the engineers who had to map, inspect and maintain them. This is your chance to take a look inside.
Join volunteer guide and qualified civil engineer, David, who will give an insight into the features of the bridge, with a focus on the Leigh Woods abutment. You’ll also learn about the rediscovery of the vaults before donning a hard hat, descending a ladder and taking a look for yourself.
Information for your Party
Please ensure that all members of your group are aware of the following restrictions. For safety reasons, we may not be able to allow members of your party to access the vaults if they have not complied with the following:
- Tours are suitable for age 7+ and under 18s must be accompanied by an adult. For school and youth groups we’d recommend a ratio of 1:5, but if you’re planning a friends and family trip parents/guardians should be responsible for the safety of their own children. Ideally a ratio of 1 adult to 2 children is preferred.
- There is a minimum height limit of 1.2m.
- Please wear sturdy shoes with good grip such as hiking boots or trainers. You will not be allowed to join the tour in heels or open-toed shoes.
- This tour includes climbing a vertical ladder and passing through a low corridor. Please ensure that you are physically capable of doing so. Find more information at www.cliftonbridge.org.uk/vaultsbooking
- Please ensure that any camera, phone, or device you bring will fit in your pocket or bag so that you have two hands free to climb the ladder.
- Only small rucksack type bags worn over both shoulders or bags with cross-body straps will be permitted inside the vaults. Large bags, handbags, umbrellas and so on can be stored securely at the Visitor Centre during your tour.
- Be aware that the vaults can be wet and/or muddy inside, particularly after heavy rain. Please wear suitable clothing and ensure that cameras or mobile phones are protected from the calcite saturated water which may fall from the ceiling.
- Please call us on 0117 974 4664 before booking if you are concerned about claustrophobia or vertigo.