Unfortunately all dates for our hard hat tours in April and May are now fully booked. Please follow the link to add yourself to the waiting list for your chosen date, or subscribe to our newsletter for advance notice of the next ticket release for dates in June and July.
When construction of the Clifton Suspension Bridge began in 1831, the eyes of the world were on Isambard Kingdom Brunel and his bold plan to build the highest and longest bridge in the world. The ambitious young engineer encountered many difficulties with the project and many of the bridge’s secrets were lost when he died before the project was complete. In 2002 an intrepid team of engineers and construction workers rediscovered Brunel’s hidden vaults. This is your chance to take a look inside.
Join volunteer guide and historian, Gordon, who will explain how the design of Brunel’s bridge was shaped by the influence of others, and how the young newcomer was able to make his name. With the help of Gordon’s ever-expanding bag of props and artefacts, you’ll hear all about the people who built and rediscovered the vaults before donning a hard hat, descending a ladder and taking a look for yourself.
The tour begins at the Clifton Toll Booth on the Bristol side of the bridge. The first hour is a walking tour of the bridge. After a short stop at the Visitor Centre to collect a hard hat and deposit your bags, you’ll explore two of the twelve chambers inside the Leigh Woods abutment. This tour concludes at the Visitor Centre (Leigh Woods). If using the pay and display parking in Clifton Village, please allow ample time to return to your vehicle.
Also available: Two Hour Technical Hard Hat Tour and One Hour Excursion.
- Thurs 11th April, 10.30-12.30 - SOLD OUT
- Thurs 25th April, 10.30-12.30 - SOLD OUT
- Thurs 9th May, 10.30-12.30 - SOLD OUT
- Thurs 30th May, 13.30-15.30 - SOLD OUT
Before you Book…
Please read the following information before making a booking and ensure that this event will be suitable for all members of your party.
- Visits must be pre-booked online
- Tours are suitable for age 7+ and under 18s must be accompanied by an adult.
- There is a minimum height limit of 1.2m.
- Please wear sturdy shoes with good grip such as hiking boots or trainers. You will not be allowed to join the tour in heels or open-toed shoes.
- This tour includes climbing a vertical ladder and passing through a low corridor. Please ensure that you are physically capable of doing so. See our access guide for more information.
- Please ensure that any camera, phone, or device you bring will fit in your pocket or bag so that you have two hands free to climb the ladder.
- Only small rucksack type bags worn over both shoulders or bags with cross-body straps will be permitted inside the vaults. Large bags, handbags, umbrellas and so on can be stored securely at the Visitor Centre during the second part of your tour.
- Be aware that the vaults can be wet and/or muddy inside, particularly after heavy rain. Please wear suitable clothing and ensure that cameras or mobile phones are protected from the calcite saturated water which may fall from the ceiling.
- Please call us on 0117 974 4664 before booking if you are concerned about claustrophobia or vertigo.
All participants will be required to fill in a form prior to taking part in the activity to acknowledge they:
- Are aware of the potential risks involved.
- Confirm they are physically fit.
- Will follow the instructions given by the guide.
Staff and volunteers at CSBT are not medically qualified and so are not in a position to assess the capacity of participants to undertake an activity. It remains your responsibility to undertake such an assessment prior to participation. If you have any of the following medical conditions we strongly recommend you consult your doctor prior to participation: Heart disease or any cardiac condition that may require immediate medical attention; neck or back injuries; recent, reoccurring or existing injuries; severe allergic reactions; haemophilia; epilepsy; asthma; diabetes; currently taking any blood thinning medication.