When the entrance to twelve forgotten chambers hidden inside the Leigh Woods abutment of the Clifton Suspension Bridge in was rediscovered in 2002, this surprise find presented a unique challenge to the engineers who had to map, inspect and maintain them. This is your chance to take a look inside.
Join volunteer guide and qualified civil engineer, David, who will give an insight into the features of the bridge, with a focus on the Leigh Woods abutment. You’ll also learn about the rediscovery of the vaults before donning a hard hat, descending a ladder and taking a look for yourself.
The tour begins at the Clifton Toll Booth on the Bristol side of the bridge. The first hour is a walking tour of the bridge. After a short stop at the Visitor Centre to collect a hard hat and deposit your bags, you’ll explore two of the twelve chambers inside the Leigh Woods abutment. This tour concludes at the Visitor Centre (Leigh Woods). If using the pay and display parking in Clifton Village, please allow ample time to return to your vehicle.
Also available: Two Hour Historical Hard Hat Tour and One Hour Excursion. See our website for dates and details.
- Tuesday, 20 August 2019 10:30-12:30 - SOLD OUT
- Tuesday, 3 September 2019 10:30-12:30 - 7 TICKETS LEFT
- Tuesday, 17 September 2019 10:30-12:30 - 3 TICKETS LEFT
- Tuesday, 1 October 2019 10:30-12:30 - 8 TICKETS LEFT
- Tuesday, 29 October 2019 10:30-12:30 - 10 TICKETS LEFT
Before you Book…
Please read the following information before making a booking and ensure that this event will be suitable for all members of your party.
- Visits must be pre-booked online
- Tours are suitable for age 7+ and under 18s must be accompanied by an adult.
- There is a minimum height limit of 1.2m.
- Please wear sturdy shoes with good grip such as hiking boots or trainers. You will not be allowed to join the tour in heels or open-toed shoes.
- This tour includes climbing a vertical ladder and passing through a low corridor. Please ensure that you are physically capable of doing so. See our access guide for more information.
- Please ensure that any camera, phone, or device you bring will fit in your pocket or bag so that you have two hands free to climb the ladder.
- Only small rucksack type bags worn over both shoulders or bags with cross-body straps will be permitted inside the vaults. Large bags, handbags, umbrellas and so on can be stored securely at the Visitor Centre during the second part of your tour.
- Be aware that the vaults can be wet and/or muddy inside, particularly after heavy rain. Please wear suitable clothing and ensure that cameras or mobile phones are protected from the calcite saturated water which may fall from the ceiling.
- Please call us on 0117 974 4664 before booking if you are concerned about claustrophobia or vertigo.
All participants will be required to fill in a form prior to taking part in the activity to acknowledge they:
- Are aware of the potential risks involved.
- Confirm they are physically fit.
- Will follow the instructions given by the guide.
Staff and volunteers at CSBT are not medically qualified and so are not in a position to assess the capacity of participants to undertake an activity. It remains your responsibility to undertake such an assessment prior to participation. If you have any of the following medical conditions we strongly recommend you consult your doctor prior to participation: Heart disease or any cardiac condition that may require immediate medical attention; neck or back injuries; recent, reoccurring or existing injuries; severe allergic reactions; haemophilia; epilepsy; asthma; diabetes; currently taking any blood thinning medication.