This year we are taking part in Silver Sunday on Sunday 6th October. Silver Sunday’s aim is to celebrate older people, recognise their contribution to their communities and help them get out and about to meet new people.
This year we are offering 50% off for over 50s on our 1-hour vault tours on silver Sunday only! The excursion begins at our Visitor Centre where you’ll put on a hard hat and high-vis jacket. After a short safety briefing, you’ll head out onto the bridge where you’ll hear about the discovery of Brunel’s forgotten chambers in 2002. Then it’s time to climb down the ladder and take a look inside! You’ll visit two of the twelve chambers built by the famous engineer and his team almost 180 years ago. Our volunteer guides will point out some of the features of their construction and give you plenty of time to take photos before you return to the surface. Tickets for each trip are limited - but along with our discount rate, they are also available at full price of £10 for adults and £8 for children, so it is possible to bring along the family. Please follow the links below and you will be able to purchase your ticket.
Before you Book…
Please read the following information before making a booking and ensure that this event will be suitable for all members of your party.
- Visits must be pre-booked online
- Tours are suitable for age 7+ and under 18s must be accompanied by an adult.
- There is a minimum height limit of 1.2m.
- Please wear sturdy shoes with good grip such as hiking boots or trainers. You will not be allowed to join the tour in heels or open-toed shoes.
- This tour includes climbing a vertical ladder and passing through a low corridor. Please ensure that you are physically capable of doing so. See our access guide for more information.
- Please ensure that any camera, phone, or device you bring will fit in your pocket or bag so that you have two hands free to climb the ladder.
- Only small rucksack type bags worn over both shoulders or bags with cross-body straps will be permitted inside the vaults. Large bags, handbags, umbrellas and so on can be stored securely at the Visitor Centre during the second part of your tour.
- Be aware that the vaults can be wet and/or muddy inside, particularly after heavy rain. Please wear suitable clothing and ensure that cameras or mobile phones are protected from the calcite saturated water which may fall from the ceiling.
- Please call us on 0117 974 4664 before booking if you are concerned about claustrophobia or vertigo.
All participants will be required to fill in a form prior to taking part in the activity to acknowledge they:
- Are aware of the potential risks involved.
- Confirm they are physically fit.
- Will follow the instructions given by the guide.
Staff and volunteers at CSBT are not medically qualified and so are not in a position to assess the capacity of participants to undertake an activity. It remains your responsibility to undertake such an assessment prior to participation. If you have any of the following medical conditions we strongly recommend you consult your doctor prior to participation: Heart disease or any cardiac condition that may require immediate medical attention; neck or back injuries; recent, reoccurring or existing injuries; severe allergic reactions; haemophilia; epilepsy; asthma; diabetes; currently taking any blood thinning medication.
We are also inviting people over the age of 50 to come to a free reminiscence day at our Visitor Centre. Come along with your memories of the bridge and Bristol and we will create a timeline with those stories. We will have a board of photographs of Bristol dating back to the 1930s so there will be something for everyone to get nostalgic about!