The Clifton Suspension Bridge Hard Hat Tour is a one or two hour experience which is suitable for groups of up to twelve people. During the tour, you will learn about the construction and discovery of the huge red brick abutments which support the bridge towers before donning a hard hat and high vis jacket and exploring two of the twelve vaulted chambers inside the Leigh Woods abutment.
The following information is for private group bookings. Click here if you would like to book a ticket on a public tour, available March to October.
Hard Hat Tours of the Leigh Woods Vaults are available between May and October for groups of up to a maximum of 12 people, although there is no minimum. Should you wish to bring a larger group, it is possible to run two tours on the same date with start times one hour apart. Please note that availability is limited and restrictions apply (see below for more information).
The one hour experience is available for a fixed daytime price of £120 per group including a £70 deposit, payable in advance. However, if your tour finishes after 5pm an out of hour fee applies increasing the total cost to £150.
The two hour experience is available for a fixed daytime price of £192 per group including a £70 deposit, payable in advance. However, if your tour finishes after 5pm an out of hour fee applies increasing the total cost to £234.
We regret that due to staff availability, tours can start no later than 6.30pm.
Visits must be pre-booked by calling Kat Tudor on 0117 974 4664 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tours are suitable for age 7+ and under 18s must be accompanied by an adult.
- There is a minimum height limit of 1.2m.
- Please wear sturdy shoes with good grip such as hiking boots or trainers. You will not be allowed to join the tour in heels or open-toed shoes.
- This tour includes climbing a vertical ladder and passing through a low corridor. Please ensure that you are physically capable of doing so. Find out more by dowloading the Access Guide.
- Please ensure that any camera, phone, or device you bring will fit in your pocket or bag so that you have two hands free to climb the ladder.
- Only small rucksack type bags worn over both shoulders or bags with cross-body straps will be permitted inside the vaults. Large bags, handbags, umbrellas and so on can be stored securely at the Visitor Centre during your tour.
- Be aware that the vaults can be wet and/or muddy inside, particularly after heavy rain. Please wear suitable clothing and ensure that cameras or mobile phones are protected from the calcite saturated water which may fall from the ceiling.
- Please call us on 0117 974 4664 before booking if you are concerned about claustrophobia or vertigo.
All participants will be required to fill in a form prior to taking part in the activity to acknowledge they:
- Are aware of the potential risks involved.
- Confirm they are physically fit.
- Will follow the instructions given by the guide.
Staff and volunteers at CSBT are not medically qualified and so are not in a position to assess the capacity of participants to undertake an activity. It remains your responsibility to undertake such an assessment prior to participation. If you have any of the following medical conditions we strongly recommend you consult your doctor prior to participation: Heart disease or any cardiac condition that may require immediate medical attention; neck or back injuries; recent, reoccurring or existing injuries; severe allergic reactions; haemophilia; epilepsy; asthma; diabetes; currently taking any blood thinning medication.